Transfer Pipeline Program
The HCAP Transfer Pipeline Program provides peer mentorship and support to transfer students during their first semester at Hunter College. While open to all, this program targets Asian American and other first-generation college students who are transferring into Hunter from other CUNY community colleges. To learn more about Hunter College AANAPISI Project (HCAP), visit: www.huntercap.org
Through the Transfer Pipeline Program, students will:
- Reflect and share how their own identities influence their experiences in college
- Identify and access Hunter’s network of resources
- Feel connected to a larger support community of fellow transfer students and peer mentors to increase their sense of belonging to Hunter College
This program is open to all, but focuses on incoming transfer students who identify as Asian American (including but not limited to: South Asian, Southeast Asian, East Asian, Central Asian, West Asian, Indo-Caribbean) and/or first-generation college students (your parent(s) did not attend college in this country).
Transfer Pipeline Program – Mentee Application
The application for Mentees for the Fall 2022 Cohort of the Transfer Pipeline Program is now closed. If you are an incoming transfer student interested in joining the program for the Spring Semester, stay tuned for applications to open in late Fall.
Transfer Pipeline Program Mentee Timeline:
Fall 2022 semester (late August – December)
- Assigned peer mentor (a current Hunter College undergraduate student), matched based on your academic and personal interests
- Kick-off event to build community with other transfer students and get introduced to trained peer mentors and HCAP staff
- Monthly check-in meetings with a peer mentor
- Workshops to introduce you to resources at Hunter
- 3 monthly unlimited metrocards to be used during the semester
- Connection to a supportive peer community and 1:1 support from HCAP staff
- Attend virtual kick-off event on Thursday, August 18th @ 6:00-7:30pm via Zoom
- Attend 2 meetings per month with your peer mentor (September, October, November, December)
- Attend at least 1 Transfer Pipeline resource workshop
- Attend at least 1 one-on-one meeting with HCAP staff
- Be in regular contact with your mentor and HCAP staff
- Must be a transfer student starting your first semester at Hunter in Fall 2022 and available to attend all program requirements
- Preference will be given to students transferring from CUNY community colleges (including but not limited to: BMCC, LaGuardia, Hostos, BCC)
The deadline to apply is August 1st, 2022. Applications are at bit.ly/tppmenteeapp
We will accept up to 20 mentees for the Fall 2022 cohort. If accepted, applicants will be notified via an email message to their Hunter College email address by the week of August 8th.
The HCAP Transfer Pipeline Program application for Peer Mentors is now closed. TPMs will receive hands-on leadership coaching and skills training to become peer mentors who can assist incoming transfer students in navigating their Hunter experience and building community.
TRANSFER PEER MENTOR APPLICATION
Transfer Peer Mentors commit to participating in the program for the summer training and full academic year (Fall ‘22 – Spring ‘23).
To be considered for the transfer peer mentor position, students must:
– Be enrolled at Hunter as an undergraduate student for the Fall ’22 – Spring ’23 school year
– Be able to commit to all summer training, fall, and spring semester responsibilities
– Be in good academic standing
– Have completed at least two full semesters at Hunter
– Have a desire to support other Hunter students in navigating college, especially those who are incoming transfer students who identify as Asian American and/or are first-generation college students
COMMITMENTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
During Summer 2022:
– Attend summer training: 8 sessions, meeting twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2:00-4:00 pm (7/14, 7/19, 7/21, 7/26, 7/28, 8/2, 8/4, 8/9). Tuesdays will be virtual via Zoom and Thursdays will be in-person at Hunter College’s main campus
– Assist HCAP staff in hosting transfer student mentee welcome event via Zoom on August 18th at 6:00-7:30pm for transfer students
During Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 Semester:
– Meet twice per month with two assigned mentees
– Attend monthly check-in meetings with Mentor Supervisor and HCAP Program Associate, Maryam Mian
– Plan or assist 1 community event or workshop per semester
$250 stipend for Summer 2022 training
$800 stipend for each semester (Fall ’22 & Spring ’23)
June 13th, 2022
Apply at bit.ly/hcapmentor
If you have any questions, contact HCAP Program Director, Caitlin Ho at firstname.lastname@example.org and HCAP Program Associate, Maryam Mian at email@example.com.
****This program is supported by Hunter College AANAPISI Project and the BMCC- Hunter AANAPISI Bridge Initiative